Here is a collection of research articles on games.
- Ten most important research studies on games.
- A list of dark patterns in game design.
- Gamification Research Network, news and resources on using games for non-game contexts.
Click here to view details on game conferences and events.
- Ada: A Journal of Gender, New Media, and Technology – an online, open access, open source, peer-reviewed journal run on a nonprofit basis by feminist media scholars. No fees associated with publishing. Uses a Creative Commons License.
- Computers in Entertainment – ACM Computers in Entertainment (Ended publication) – unfortunately, CiE no longer publishes new issues. Here are 15 years worth of articles that covered aspects of entertainment technology and applications.
- Digital Culture and Education – an international inter-disciplinary peer-reviewed journal. Open-access and published via the web. Focuses on the impact of digital culture on areas such as identity, education, art, society, culture. Accepts “empirical and conceptual approaches to theorizing globalization, development, sustainability, wellbeing, subjectivities, networks, new media, gaming, multimodality, literacies and related issues and their implications for how we educate and why.”
- Entertainment Computing – a journal focused on innovative “research ideas, emerging technologies, empirical investigations, state-of-the-art methods and tools in all aspects of digital entertainment, new media, entertainment computing, gaming, robotics, toys and applications among researchers, engineers, social scientists, artists and practitioners.” Accepts a wide range of papers: theoretical, technical, empirical, survey articles and case studies.
- GAME: The Italian Journal of Game Studies – an Italian journal dedicated to “a comparative, critical and theoretical analysis of videogames.”
- Games and Culture – A SAGE journal that is peer-reviewed and published quarterly. Promotes “innovative theoretical and empirical research about games and culture within interactive media.”
- IEEE Transactions on Computational Intelligence and AI in Games – Publishes peer-reviewed articles in computational intelligence and related areas in artificial intelligence applied to games. The scope includes “video games, mathematical games, human-computer interactions in games, and games involving physical objects.”
- International Journal of Game-Based Learning – A peer reviewed journal with the goal to “promote knowledge pertinent to the design of Game-Based Learning environments, and to provide relevant theoretical frameworks and the latest empirical research findings in the field of Game-Based Learning. The main goals of IJGBL are to identify, explain, and improve the interaction between learning outcomes and motivation in video games, and to promote best practices for the integration of video games in instructional settings. The journal is multidisciplinary and addresses cognitive, psychological and emotional aspects of Game-Based Learning. It discusses innovative and cost-effective Game-Based Learning solutions. It also provides students, researchers, instructors, and policymakers with valuable information in Game-Based Learning, and increases their understanding of the process of designing, developing and deploying successful educational games. IJGBL also identifies future directions in this new educational medium.”
- International Journal of Gaming and Computer-Mediated Simulation – a peer-reviewed, international journal devoted to the “theoretical and empirical understanding of electronic games and computer-mediated simulations. This interdisciplinary journal publishes research from fields and disciplines that share the goal of improving the foundational knowledge base of games and simulations.
- The International Journal of Interactive Worlds – an Open Access journal that focuses on Serious Games and related areas.
- Journal of Game Design and Development Education – a peer-reviewed journal, that covers “all aspects of teaching the art, craft and science of game design and development to students in and out of a higher education setting.”
- Media-N – Journal of the New Media Caucus. A peer reviewed and invitational journal. It is open to submissions in the form of theoretical papers, reviews, and commented new media artworks.
- Well Played Journal – ETC Press – A forum for in-depth close readings of video games that parse out the various meanings to be found in the experience of playing a game. It is a reviewed journal open to submissions that will be released on a regular basis with high-quality essays.